“The strength of the team is the individual member. The strength of each member is the team”
– Phil Jackson, Chicago Bulls Coach
- Del Mar WPC offers young athletes the opportunity to participate in water polo at different age groups, and different ability/skill levels. The following are the age categories — 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u and 18u.
- In the younger age groups, the focus of the program is on teaching the athletes the fundamentals of water polo, in a fun and positive environment, meant to instill the love of the sport and teach kids fair play and competition. As our athletes progress and move to older age brackets, the focus shifts to a more competitive and demanding environment where discipline and commitment become essential to success at the Zone and National levels.
- The composition of these teams is not static, as athletes will be evaluated periodically by the coaches and be placed on the most appropriate team within their age bracket.
EACH TEAM MUST WORK HARD TOWARD THESE COMMON VALUES:
- Hard work/best effort
- Ownership: no excuses.
- Respect of self and competition
- Highest level of competition
- Highest level of commitment from players and parents (limited absences from practice, with a goal of no absence from competition)
- Continued development of players during practices/scrimmages, with focus on winning in tournaments
- Play time determined by the coach to maximize winning potential of the team
- Travel frequently to Orange County and sometimes to the Bay Area
- Second highest level of competition
- A great level of commitment is expected from players and parents as well
- Continued development of players during practices/scrimmages/games
- The focus during games not as much on winning, but on providing learning opportunities for everyone on the team, by having more equal playtime for everyone, at the discretion of the coach
- Occasional travel to tournaments in Orange County
- Tournaments and Leagues in San Diego
- Developmental teams with a focus on teaching the fundamentals to athletes who are new to the game
- Play time will be available more equally for all the players to give everyone a chance to develop their game
- Strong commitment is ideal for the continued development of athletes but not required
- Engage in local tournaments and leagues